Jang ah jji (장아찌)

8 Feb

This is a dish requested by our lovely Miriam :)

I love anything sweet and sour, and jang ah jji is a perfect example. It refreshes your palate in between heavy meaty bites. Jang ah jji is a side dish (ban chan 반찬) that can be stored up to a year.

You can pickle pretty much any kinds of vegetables. I’m using radish, onion, celery and jalapeno pepper but feel free to add garlic, cucumber, carrot, chayote, sesame leaves or any other vegetables.

*Disclaimer*
Soy sauce smells bad when you boil. I warned you in advance!

I may be biased to use Soju for everything in my dish, but you can substitute with vodka or simply water.

Difficulty: Easy
Total Time: 20 minutes prep time + ready to consume in 3 days

Main Ingredients
½ radish
½ onion
1 stalk of celery
1 jalapeno pepper
1 glass bottle (32oz = 4 cups)
an object with weight (fist sized stone)

Seasoning
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
(optional: 1/4 cup soju)

Preparation
Vegetables – Cut into desired bite size and pack them up in the glass bottle (or a stainless bowl in the picture).

Cooking
1. In a pot, add soy sauce, vinegar, sugar (and soju) and bring it up to a boil. Use distilled vinegar without flavor (no cooking wine or apple vinegar). Watch out your pot as it comes to a boil because it may overflow all of sudden – I use a larger pot to avoid the overflow.

2. When the seasoning starts boiling, turn it off and pour it over the vegetables. Make sure all vegetables are under the hot liquid – use the heavy object to weigh them down. I didn’t have anything like stone-like so used the left over piece of radish.

3. Leave it outside in a room temperature for a day and then relocate to fridge. You can start eating in 3 days. Store in the fridge and you can keep it for a year!

About these ads

10 Responses to “Jang ah jji (장아찌)”

1. Jay March 2, 2011 at 9:22 am #

Do you know if distilled vinegar is available in Korea? The white vinegar I see in the stores here is rice vinegar which I understand is quite different.

• MJ March 2, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

Hi Jay – Yes rice vinegar is fine.. Distilled vinegar is available in Korea too. Just try avoiding strongly fragrant ones like apple or wine vinegar.

• Herasa February 6, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

Yay!! good for you! I’ve used vinegar sucecssfully, even plain white vinegar, although apple cider vinegar is stronger, no doubt more effective and quicker. Wart removal with vinegar is an ancient remedy recommended by practitioners of Vermont Folk Medicine. In medicine, salicylic acid is commonly used, as is duct tape, silver nitrate, laser and freezing. The main ingredient of vinegar is acetic acid (5 to 9%). Apply it 3 or 4 times/day. Works for me. Love your soundtrack! Turkey in the Straw ?

• kycgexq February 7, 2013 at 3:05 am #

UHtiLJ ayhvbfytwjhz

2. sweetmouth June 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

i have a quick question instead of radish can i use chayote? i’m trying to make jjangchi? one of the lady’s at my church made it but she used chayote? but i had no idea what the recipe was, is it the same thing as this? except i substitute radish with chayote? thanks :)

• MJ June 13, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Hi! Yes chayote is excellent substitute for radish. It actually tastes better.. You could put more sugar if you like your jjangahjji in sweeter side!

• sweetmouth June 13, 2012 at 9:35 pm #

THANK YOU SO MUCH<3 i just made it :D i can't wait to eat it. ahhhhhhhhh you're the best. i must share your blog with my friends :) thank you!!!! <3 i was looking for this everywhere!

• Rozer November 19, 2013 at 5:16 am #

Interesting! I’ve spent a lot of time trying to store veigges for the longest periods of time. I will admit that sometimes I go to stores where the produce isn’t as fresh as it should be (therefore it effects even a properly stored shelf life). Do you store the vegetables as recommended? Something else I always found was that if you store veigges near apples or onions they make veigges ripen/go bad faster.Ashley

3. Annie February 10, 2014 at 3:29 am #

Are the veggies still crisp and crunchy / do they stay that way for a while? I’ve tried different recipes and it just turns soggy. :(

4. Cost of tv advertising February 23, 2014 at 1:03 am #

This piece of writing will assist the internet viewers for creating new webpage or even a weblog
    from start to end.